Inclement Weather Procedure
Dear Parents and Guardians:
Please be aware of the procedure for early dismissals, delayed openings, and school closings due to inclement weather. Please understand that the decision to open or close the schools in bad weather is based on careful analysis of all relevant factors. The decision is made after consultation with surrounding districts, assessments of the conditions in the town and assessment of conditions of arteries into Boonton impacting staff travel.
The Boonton School District provides notification of important school and district messages, including inclement weather school closings in the following ways:
1. Realtime Notification System: The district is using the Realtime Notification System beginning this school year. Parents can update their contact information and set alert options by logging into their parent portal account. If you need instructions on accessing your Realtime Parent Portal
please visit www.boontonschools.org and click on Students & Families then Realtime Parent Portal FAQ or email email@example.com
2. Web Posting: School closing messages due to inclement weather are always posted on the district and school web sites at www.boontonschools.org.
3. Mobile App: School closing messages due to inclement weather are sent out via the district’s mobile app. To download the free app, search “Boonton Public Schools” in the App Store or Google Play.
4. Television stations News 12, WABC and WNBC as well as online at www.news12.com
The severity of the condition will be handled individually, but it is my belief in these circumstances that it is better to make ever attempt to keep school open since all parents cannot make appropriate arrangements to have their children picked up early. Of course, if you are more comfortable picking up your child early, that request will be honored. The cancellation of after school and evening activities will be evaluated on a case by case basis and announced with the alert. If school has to be dismissed early due to inclement weather, be advised of the following dismissal times:
- School Street School 12:22 PM
- John Hill School 12:07 PM
- Boonton High School 11:52 AM
Delayed Opening – After School / Evening Activities
If a delayed opening is called as a result of inclement weather, be advised of the school start times listed below. On delayed opening days, before care at SSS and JHS are cancelled. The decision to run after school and evening activities will be determined during the course of the day, depending upon weather and road conditions.
- School Street School 10:05 AM
- John Hill School 9:50 AM
- Boonton High School 9:35 AM
Four inclement days are built into the annual school calendar. In the event the district exceeds closing for more than 4 days, the first make-up day will be indicated on the approved District Calendar If more than 4 inclement weather days are needed, additional make-up days will be designated and communicated to you.
If you have any questions regarding these matters, please feel free to contact me.
Superintendent of Schools