In the early fall of 2018, Boonton applied for Preschool Education Expansion Aid (PEEA). This was made possible by a $50,000,000 line item in the state's budget to increase the number of New Jersey 3 & 4 year-olds attending preschool. Boonton was deemed eligible due to our district having 20% or more of our students receiving free or reduce lunch through the National School Lunch program.
We were awarded the additional state aid after submitting a 5 year plan to build our preschool classroom and staff capacity to a level which would accomodate the projected ~170 3 and 4 year old children residing in Boonton. Once receiving the award, the district agreed to:
1. No longer charge tuition for our preschool program for Boonton residents.
2. Refund those Boonton families who had paid tuition to our previous preschool program for the 2018-19 school year (refunds to be issued in January of 2019)
3. Increase the number of integrated preschool classrooms from 3 to ~11 within 5 years to service all our projected 3 & 4 year-olds.
4. Hire a Master Teacher to provide support and maintian continuity among all of our preschool classrooms using the NJDOE approved curriculm, Tools of the Mind.
5. Abide by all other requirements of the Preschool Education Expansion Aid agreement.