Scholastic Student Athlete Safety Act Information for Parents
SCHOLASTIC STUDENT-ATHLETE SAFETY ACT
INFORMATION FACT SHEET FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS
Prior to participation on a school-sponsored interscholastic or intramural athletic team or squad, each student-athlete in grades six through 12 must present a completed pre-participation physical evaluation (PPE) form to the designated school staff member. Important information regarding the PPE is provided below, and you should feel free to share with your child’s medical home health care provider.
1. The PPE may ONLY be completed by a licensed physician, advanced practice nurse (APN) or physician assistant (PA) that has completed the Student-Athlete Cardiac Assessment professional development module. It is recommended that you verify that your medical provider has completed this module before scheduling an appointment for a PPE.
2. The required PPE must be conducted within 365 days prior to the first official practice in an athletic season. The PPE form is available in English and Spanish at http://www.state.nj.us/education/students/safety/health/records/athleticphysicalsform.pdf.
3. The parent/guardian must complete the History Form (page one), and insert the date of the required physical examination at the top of the page.
4. The parent/guardian must complete The Athlete with Special Needs: Supplemental History Form (page two), if applicable, for a student with a disability that limits major life activities, and insert the date of the required physical examination on the top of the page.
5. The licensed physician, APN or PA who performs the physical examination must complete the remainingtwopages of the PPE, and insert the date of the examination on the Physical Examination Form (page three) and Clearance Form (page four).
6. The school district must provide written notification to the parent/guardian, signed by the school physician, indicating approval of the student’s participation in a school-sponsored interscholastic or intramural athletic team or squad based upon review of the medical report, or must provide the reason(s) for the disapproval of the student’s participation.
7. For student-athletes that had a medical examination completed more than 90 days prior to the first official practice in an athletic season, the Health History Update Questionnaire (HHQ) form must be completed, and signed by the student’s parent/guardian. The HHQ must be reviewed by the school nurse and, if applicable, the school’s athletic trainer. The HHQ is available at http://www.state.nj.us/education/students/safety/health/records/HealthHistoryUpdate.pdf.
For more information, please review the Frequently Asked Questions which are available athttp://www.state.nj.us/education/students/safety/health/services/athlete/faq.pdf. You may also direct questions to Mr. David Hughen, Athletic Director, email@example.com.